Thursday, January 12, 2006

Educated Indians More Likely to Abort Females

"More educated women have more access to technology, they are more privileged, and most educated families have the least number of children," says Sabu George, a researcher with the Center for Women's Development Studies in New Delhi, who did not participate in the study....

"I personally believe this as a failure of society, not a failure of women," says [UNICEF spokeswoman Karuna] Bishnoi. "Women who choose this technique may be victims of discrimination themselves, and they may not be the decisionmakers. Nobody can deny that the status of women is very low in India. There is no quick fix to this."

The cultural practice of giving a dowry to the groom's family puts a tremendous financial burden on a bride's family. The cost of not paying a larger dowry can be even higher. In the high-tech city of Bangalore, activists report that it is still common for women to be burned alive by husbands who expected a larger dowry....

"This is a much larger problem in the future," [Sabu George] says. "Without strong pressure by civil society groups, we'll be seeing 1 million female feticides every year within five years time, definitely."

8 Comments:

Blogger Pixy Misa said...

Nobody can deny that the status of women is very low in India. There is no quick fix to this.

I wonder how that will work when the young men significantly outnumber the young women. Who needs a dowry then?

January 13, 2006 12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps men will pay a bride-price as in many African tribes!

Also they may revive the ancient Indian custom of Polyandry!

March 29, 2006 4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Mr. Cutler. I am Ronnie one particular of one's Greatest enthusiast. I dream to achieved your title that's why
I am striving difficult in my work-out. All of those work-out is as well challenging to do since I never have any
supplements to enhanced/ preserve my physique figure.

Is it all right if I will be requesting you to give me a few
of your supplements so as for me to uplift my greatest
dream. Thanks. Hope to anticipate your excellent action.
Your the best of all. Goodbye.

Here is my page ... six pack shortcuts off youtube

June 02, 2013 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what does NSA Sex mean. I have seen it numerous instances and
would just like to know what NSA sex implies.

Visit my site: how to communicate with a woman

June 03, 2013 1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I salute your time spent, however the crucial to your much better?
education program that will likely be sustainable inside the future (when there is far more to discover), is to
cut down the quantity of time needed to learn X quantity.

We ought to be possessing memory-competition winners and the sensible men and women who write the journals as instructors over
the web (just watch videos of all of the best educators, the greatest educators use voice, tone, body language
etc to communicate a principle). A factory have to always make
more with less.

Look into my blog - 60 minute stamina free online

June 03, 2013 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing so numerous recipes at the
very same location. I love Chicken Curry. I am gonna make it tonight.

-Slow Cooker

Also visit my web site metabolic cooking cookbook Review

June 03, 2013 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michael, thanks for your remark. Are there any evening or week-end events in the church that your Belle would be likely to show up at?
If not, I feel there would be nothing at all wrong, now that
you just have locked eyes countless instances, to extend a greeting plus a generic question alongside the
traces of where you live and such. If she requires the hint, she is going to comply with up and also you will have damaged the
ice. You currently have your religion in widespread and which is a wonderful begin.

Would enjoy to know the way it ends. Buona fortuna!

My blog - tips To attract Women

June 03, 2013 10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This things doesn't function in any respect. Purchased a bottle. Employed it for thirty days. Dropped a single pound. Produced me severly constipated. Wouldn't waste your income at all with this
item.

Feel free to surf to my web blog ... weight loss foods lose weight in a week

June 15, 2013 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home